Monday, November 2, 2009

Sisterhood

Here lately I have felt a sort of disconnect, and I did not know why. This morning I went to a muffins with mom event for my oldest daughter and of course I took the little sis as well as two lovelies that I am babysitting, and something clicked.

I have not been spending as much time with the women in my life. I know there are many timed that life gets crazy and it seems like there is never enough time to get everything accomplished, but it is important to make time for yourself. About a week ago I was feeling great, and now I attribute that to me making time to at least have a conversation with some other female in my life.

The bonds that women share together are vital for one's sanity (at least for my own). There was a period in my life when I had some serious problems with other women, due to an incident that I was sure would scar me for life. During that time I was quite depressed but I simply did not trust anyone that was female and told myself that I could live without much female presence in my life. Then I met a great friend and she helped me begin to see that just because you were hurt once it does not mean that you should lose hope. That one friend led to more and soon I was really feeling happy again.

Fate stepped in and long distance moves were made, and we sort of lost touch. Once again I began to feel down. Not long ago I came in contact with some of my dearest friends from my past and I could feel that things were turning around. This just so happened to be a time in my life that it seemed that everything else around me was crumbling. Despite all of this I could see the light. I have never been one to have a lot of close friends, usually just a few but those few are like sisters to me.

One friend in particular seemed to show up with perfect timing and has become a very important person in my life, we truly are sisters. This past week things have been so busy that I did not make the time to keep in touch so well, as a result I have felt as if something was missing, I have felt disconnected.

As I am running around this morning it occurred to me that maybe what I really need in life is this closeness that can only be filled by my closest and dearest female friends, my sisters.

It seems that our culture has lost the value of close female bonds. Our lives are so busy and over scheduled that we just do not feel as tough we have the time. We must make the time even if it is only a phone conversation, although a nice talk in person is much better, any conversation could prove helpful.

Life is short and the only other people who can truly understand are the other women in our lives. We should make an attempt to rekindle the idea of 'the red tent' sort of thinking. We should hold our relationships with our closest friends, our sisters, on a throne. They should be cherished. We should never waste our time judging others, there is something to be learned from every situation and every relationship.

3 comments:

  1. Oh yes, a sisterhood. Just started reading The Red Tent, as part of our online book club. Very timely right now, as I am also drawn to sisterhoods.
    I've never been a girl's girl, but I think motherhood triggered this gap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been much of a girl's girl either, but since having kids and going through various life experiences it has become more important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, your Tenderness of Wolves snippet is posted. :)

    ReplyDelete