Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sensitive Flowers

I found out yesterday that my 6 year old child has a boyfriend. She said that he was her boyfriend only he did not know it. After a little chuckle I asked her why did she think he was her boyfriend, she said because she did not like it when he was sick. He was not feeling well at school that day and she said she did not like it and she wanted him to feel better. Even though at first I was a bit shocked at her talk of a boyfriend after hearing her explain it, I could not help but think is was a very sweet gesture.

This is the same child that has been going through some difficult transitions lately so I was glad to see her seem happy about something. Anyone who thinks that young children do not understand 'adult' situations is very wrong. They understand way more than we give them credit for most of the time. My 4 year old senses all sorts of things no matter how we try to not let our feelings show.

We must take the time to really listen to our children as well as take the time to talk to them about anything that they would like to share with us. The world around them is a complicated place and is difficult for me to understand so I can only imagine how hard it must be on the children. They absorb everything around them and they need to have a way to get it all out. As they get older you must be careful not to seem to judgmental, at least in my experience with my teen. If they feel that you are going to judge them they are not going to speak.

I was not planning on posting anything about children, but I sat down to start typing and it just happened. I do want to say that I am not trying to tell anyone how to parent their children as each child and each family is different. Just listen to your children as well as to yourself, your heart will always lead you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment